Open Forum > What's New

Script BASIC Windows 32 bit - Download Available

<< < (3/4) > >>

AlyssonR:
And yet SB is the only one of the lot that does what I want it to do in both a straightforward AND a timely manner.

Sadly, programming is something where the majority of people follow the trend of "what's bright, shiny and new" ... and older programming hacks like myself want to use a tool that does what is needed without a massive learning curve.

I installed Eclipse, a while back, and had to take it out - given that it took 20 minutes to load, and was unusably sluggish once loaded (and *that* is what people are using?). SB's lean profile is just the ticket.

Of course, knowing the way these things go, I'm just the only gobby one - the rest sit and nod while mumbling "yeah, yeah, yeah".  ;D

I do admit, though, that once my current systems give up the ghost, I'm more than likely to move to Linux - I just don't like the way Windows is headed.

Support:

--- Quote ---And yet SB is the only one of the lot that does what I want it to do in both a straightforward AND a timely manner.
--- End quote ---

There has been few if any projects I have done that required using a compiler rather than an interpreter. If I have a CPU intensive function, I just write a C extension module and use it seamlessly with SB.

AlyssonR:
Most of what I do tends to be hardware and/or user constrained, so there is little advantage to compiling for me. My programs spent an inordinate amount of time waiting for disc accesses to complete.

The only heavyweight thunking I do is a program to calculate specific activity and dose from a chemical formula, but I do that in a mixture of batch and compiled VB6 - and a list of 1800 minerals takes less than 15 seconds to handle and output to CSV and rich text document files - so it probably wouldn't take much more using SB.

Support:
Hopefully others will give Script BASIC a try and share their experience. You can lead a horse to water ...

AlyssonR:
Brilliant, thanks.

Not that I'm actually using them at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version