Author Topic: REQ: Sqlite binding.  (Read 10701 times)

jhouck

REQ: Sqlite binding.
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
Yeah, only my second post and already I'm asking for something... :lol:

While using MySQL and Postgres are very cool for heavyweight applications, a binding to Sqlite would be advantageous for more portable, data-driven standalone apps.  I've used both MySQL and Postgre to power the backends of some websites and while they work exceedingly well, they aren't light enough for less data intensive apps. BerkelyDB is TOO light in many cases.

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:20:22 PM »
If you have a C background, adding a new extension to ScriptBasic is rather easy. Unlike other languages that allow you to dynamically link to a library, ScriptBasic require a few more steps but the end result is richer interface with the language. The 'trial' extension module is a do-nothing example that is well document on how to add your own extension. Peter Verhas has created documentation as well. You can also check out the code in the gtk-server.c program for a single function call interface. (simple no frills interface)

I plan on doing the Rlib report generator extension and will documented my effort. C isn't the primary language I program in so there may be room for improvement in the code I write. I have been programming in all flavors of Basic for the last 30 years. Applications, interfaces and utility work is where I shine.

John

jhouck

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:36:18 PM »
Thx for the info and direction, I'll give it a look John... I've got 20 years programming behind me (ex-IT admin/programmer)... C/C++ and scripting languages were my mainstay...  :wink:

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »

I've got 20 years programming behind me (ex-IT admin/programmer)... C/C++ and scripting languages were my mainstay...

Your hired !  :wink:

We can use all the help we can get and having a C background puts you on my very special member list. Did you say Bud or Coors Lite is your favorite refreshment?   :D

John

jhouck

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
Quote from: "support"

I've got 20 years programming behind me (ex-IT admin/programmer)... C/C++ and scripting languages were my mainstay...

Your hired !  :wink:

We can use all the help we can get and having a C background puts you on my very special member list. Did you say Bud or Coors Lite is your favorite refreshment?   :D

John

Thx for the [beer] offer... but those were er, earlier, days. :lol: At 50, I decided to change my life style and now a nice glass of Chablis works fine...:wink:

You know, it's funny how it's getting harder and harder to find good C programmers. Used to be C was a stepping stone to C++, but now it's .NET this and .NET that...

"Old programmers don't die, they just get superceded..."

roughbert

Re: REQ: Sqlite binding.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same old question - SQLite, anyone?

I'm getting familiar with SQLite and have C experience too, BTW

Chris

and it's my first post - Hello, ScriptBasic world!\n