Author Topic: Feedback Request  (Read 30824 times)

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Feedback Request
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
I have noticed that ScriptBasic is being downloaded on a daily basis yet no one is commenting on their experience with the Basic.

• Did you have any issue getting ScriptBasic to work on your system?
  • What version of Windows did you try ScriptBasic on?
  • What areas do you plan to use ScriptBasic in your projects?
  • Have you tried ScriptBasic in the 64-bit environment yet?
  • Have you tried the Linux or Mac version yet?
  • What suggestions do you have to create more of a community around ScriptBasic?

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback Request
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »
I'm interested in how application developers use Basic to solve their project needs.

Do you use Basic as your primary development language?

What do you find most attractive about Basic you don't find in other languages?

Do you think productive computer users would find having a easy to use Basic scripting language that runs on everything using the same script an advantage and something that the community would support?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:51:23 AM by support »

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »
I have restructured the forum to make it easier to find things and not have to work so hard to pick the right board to post on.

I would like to get the current source on SourceForge in the coming days to attract a larger developer base. If there is an extension module you think would make ScriptBasic more attractive to users, please post it on the Wish List board.

steve

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:50:22 AM »
I have noticed that ScriptBasic is being downloaded on a daily basis yet no one is commenting on their experience with the Basic.
    ...//...
  • What suggestions do you have to create more of a community around ScriptBasic?
Have you tried compiling ScriptBasic for Symbian or Samsung's bada?

There are a number of good cross-platform desktop Basics available, maybe mobile devices could be the niche for ScriptBasic.

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:29 PM »
The University of Toronto is using ScriptBasic in embedded controllers for all the environmental systems on campus.

Since SB follows the ANSI C standard, it is very portable and seems to compile on just about everything tried so far.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can use SB as a browser scripting language (plug-in) and not have to use JavaScript as my primary client side scripting engine for custom dynamic web applications I write.

steve

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:00:20 AM »

Since SB follows the ANSI C standard, it is very portable and seems to compile on just about everything tried so far.
Interesting, maybe I'll have a go at getting it running on Symbian when I get some time to spare.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can use SB as a browser scripting language (plug-in) and not have to use JavaScript as my primary client side scripting engine for custom dynamic web applications I write.
That would be excellent too, good luck.

dons333

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »
•Did you have any issue getting ScriptBasic to work on your system?
   Not really. It's not simple, but it's not hard either.
•What version of Windows did you try ScriptBasic on?
   Windows 7
•What areas do you plan to use ScriptBasic in your projects?
   I'm not sure, yet.
•Have you tried ScriptBasic in the 64-bit environment yet?
   No.
•Have you tried the Linux or Mac version yet?
   No.
•What suggestions do you have to create more of a community around ScriptBasic?
   I don't know, but I'll give it some thought.

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 12:41:01 AM »
•Did you have any issue getting ScriptBasic to work on your system?
   Not really. It's not simple, but it's not hard either.

What was the most confusing part about getting ScriptBasic working on your system? What in your opinion would entice others to try ScriptBasic?

dons333

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 12:21:13 PM »
I think I downloaded the 3.0 release first figuring that was the latest and greatest without actuall reading the instructions in the post, and was looking for a setup.exe file. It was later when I downloaded 2.1 and then went back and actually read your post that I realized that the setup.exe program was in the 2.1 release. Details, always details.  ;)

As far as enticing users: I might create Joe's SB site and post some sample code, maybe with some graphics programs, or simple games including screenshots. Let others post comments and code to the sight. Also, maybe compare SB to other BASICs out there for features, etc.. Just some thoughts.

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »
Peter has a utility in the 2.1 source that will create a setup.exe but it's antiquated and difficult to use after a new build. (one of the things on my list to do)

ScriptBasic by default is an embeddable Basic like scripting API. I use the console mode interpreter and web server variations that are great examples of embedding the ScriptBasic API.

I view the command line interpreter as a general purpose scripting engine that runs on most everything using little code to accomplish significant tasks.