Author Topic: ScriptBasic 2.1 Linux  (Read 39024 times)

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ScriptBasic 2.1 Linux
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »
I'm pleased to announce that the first release candidate for ScriptBasic 2.1 Linux is available.

The ODBC interface has changed from unixODBC to iODBC to align with the OS X version.

Download

• download the compressed tar file to your /usr/src directory
  • In your Linux console, cd to /usr/scr and type bunzip2 SB_2.1_RC1_Linux.tbz
  • this creates a SB_2.1_RC1_Linux.tar file.
  • extract the tar file with tar -xvf SB_2.1_RC1_Linux.tar
  • this creates a scriptbasic directory with everything needed to install ScriptBasic
  • cd into the scriptbasic directory and type ./install.sh

You are now able to use ScriptBasic
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:40:01 PM by support »

E.K.Virtanen

Re: ScriptBasic 2.1 Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »
Works like a glove with these informations. From where i can get all the modules (gtk.bas etc.)? Cant find them...though not first time when i dont see something that is in front of my eyes.

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 04:25:41 PM »
The following is the latest source. (as far as I'm aware of)

ScriptBasic Linux 2.1

Build Process

• Uncompressed the archive. (creates a scriptbasic directory)
  • ./setup  (builds the complete ScriptBasic language from scratch) It's a good idea to remove the last bin directory that was previously created.
  • ./setup --install  (installs ScriptBasic and creates a default binary version of the configuration file)

Known Successful Builds:

• CentOS 5.4 (32 bit)
  • Ubuntu (32 bit)

Please reply to this topic thread if you have successfully compiled ScriptBasic on a Linux version not mentioned yet.

Note: In the next build, the BDB (Berkeley DB) and PSQL (PostgreSQL) extension modules will no longer be included or supported. (use at your own risk)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:34:35 AM by support »

midiwall

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
Two notes on compile/install:

• When I unpacked the sources, setup didn't come out with -x permissions
  • When compiling on ubuntu, I had permission errors and had to "sudo ___" the 3 steps (./setup, ./setup --install, ./install.sh)

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »
Thanks for your feedback!

I will be creating new docs for the compiling process as time permits. If you can post your steps as a guide, it would help the project along.

mesbas

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »
Just for grins  ;D what's the difference between the 2.1 Linux and the 3.0 Windows versions?
I thought they were the same!  Obviously, Windows is Windows and Linux is not, but it seems like it would be a lot easier to maintain one source for all OS's.
I'm always wondering if one works better then the other, or if I'm missing something.
I happen to prefer Linux for my hobby programming, and have compiled and installed the source on my Linux box.
There seems to be a lot of Windows, and other OS stuff in the Linux source, that just isn't used. And that's OK.
So why can't there be a lot of Linux stuff in the Windows version that isn't used.
If a new function is created or a bug is found, you only have to change/update one source tree.
I'm sure there's a good reason, I just can't think of one.

Tom

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 12:28:14 PM »
Tom,

ScriptBasic 2.1 is the current distribution on all platforms. The 3.0 goal (started on Windows) was a 32/64 bit MinGW-gcc project that died shortly after getting started. (Armando migrated back to his BCX MBC translator project as his pet project.)  My time is being spent on the Linux environment and I could use your help putting together a distribution we all can be proud of.

John

delmadord

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:29:30 PM »
Greetings, I made an AUR package for the Arch linux users, in case someone is interested. Hope someone would be able to provide some feedback :)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/scriptbasic/

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
Thanks Peter!

Greetings, I made an AUR package for the Arch linux users,

I'm assuming this is a 64 bit Arch Linux distribution?

I will be posting soon a Script BASIC for Windows 32 bit Inno setup file for testing and feedback.

delmadord

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
I'm assuming this is a 64 bit Arch Linux distribution?

Yes, the package is for 64-bit.

Arch 32-bit is phasing out btw.